The Associated Press

Articles

Trump removes Bannon from National Security Council

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has removed chief strategist Steve Bannon from the National Security Council, reversing a controversial early decision to give Bannon access to the high-level meetings.

Sen. Joe Donnelly to hold town hall in Emens

Indiana Sen. Joe Donnelly plans to hold a town hall forum in Muncie this coming weekend where he will give an update on his work in Washington and answer questions from constituents.

Purdue president, universities speak out against travel ban

Dozens of U.S. colleges are opposing President Donald Trump's sweeping travel ban that has left some students and professors stranded abroad. The presidents of several universities on Sunday issued scathing attacks of Trump's executive order halting immigration from seven Muslim-majority nations.

THE ISSUE: Georgetown to give slave descendants priority for admission

WASHINGTON (AP) — Georgetown University will give preference in admissions to the descendants of slaves owned by the Maryland Jesuits as part of its effort to atone for profiting from the sale of enslaved people, the president of the prominent Jesuit university in Washington announced Thursday.

As many as 120 dead in Paris shootings, bombings

A series of attacks targeting young concert-goers and Parisians enjoying a Friday night out at popular nightspots killed as many as 120 people in the deadliest violence to strike France since World War II. President Francois Hollande pledged that France would stand firm against what he called terrorism. The worst carnage was at a concert hall hosting an American rock band, where scores of people were held hostage and attackers hurled explosives at their captives. Police who stormed the building, killing three attackers, encountered a bloody scene of horror inside.

Coast Guard: Missing ship sank, 1 body found, search ongoing

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — The Coast Guard said Monday that a U.S. cargo ship carrying 33 people that has been missing since it encountered high winds and heavy seas from Hurricane Joaquin sank and one body was found, but planes and ships will continue searching for the missing crew. Capt.

Sierra Club: Toxic pollutant limits good news for Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Sierra Club says new federal standards for mercury, lead and other toxic pollutants that coal-fired power plants discharge into rivers and streams are good news for Indiana's waterways and its residents. Jodi Perras (PEHR'-ihs), the Indiana representative of the Sierra Club's Beyond Coal Campaign, calls the standards "a victory for every Hoosier who wants to swim in clean rivers, eat healthy fish, and drink clean water." Perras says a 2013 report from a coalition of environmental groups found that only three of Indiana's 19 coal-fired power plants had permits that limited their toxic heavy metal discharges into public waters. The U.S.