In a campus wide email sent Wednesday, Susana Rivera-Mills, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Ball State, announced all in-person classes for the summer 2020 semester will transition to virtual teaching and learning.
"Thanks to our investment and innovations in online and strategic learning, Ball State is well prepared to offer students a meaningful experience and quality education remotely," Rivera-Mills said.
She said about 75 percent of all Ball State summer courses are already offered online and the transition will affect the remaining 25 percent of summer courses.
She asked all faculty and staff to be flexible and make any necessary changes to summer courses before April 17.
Rivera-Mills thanked the staff of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for supporting incoming freshmen through its virtual campus presentations and engaging with prospective and admitted students. She said the office will also adapt summer orientation programs to ensure the safety of future Ball State students.
She also thanked the Summer Session 2020 workgroup for its work and recommendations and the Division of Online and Strategic Learning, which supported Ball State faculty in replacing in-person classes with virtual learning during the spring semester.
"The COVID-19 threat has created many challenges for our faculty, our staff, and our students," Rivera-Mills said. "By working together, we can effectively address them and embrace a bright future."