Cleaning phones and other electronic devices could “go a long way” in slowing the spread of COVID-19, according to a Ball State health science professor.
Jagdish Khubchandani, associate chair and professor of health science, said while people are anxious over the spread of the virus, they forget to practice prevention strategies.
“We spend more than [two] hours a day touching our phones, share or touch other people’s phones, and touch our face more than a [thousand] times a day, which is a clear pathway for transmission of COVID-19,” he said in a Ball State press release. “First, I would urge people to not touch other people’s phone. And then you should frequently clean your phone. Understandably, phone companies warn you of not using certain chemicals and techniques and you are also worried about damaging a costly phone.”
Khubchandani recommends people do the following:
- Wash your hands with soap and water, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Turn off your phone.
- Remove the battery, separate any covers and open or disassemble the phone as much as you can.
- Use a light hairdryer at a safe distance to blow off dust and particles from all phone surfaces.
- Take a piece of cloth and dampen it with soap water or body wash.
- Use computer screen cleaning wipes to gently clean all surfaces.
- Dry with a clean cloth or blow dry. Dispose all wipes and cloth pieces used and seal your phone.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, scrubbing at least 20 seconds. In the cleaning process, do not touch your face.
According to an Associated Press article, people can use Clorox wipes with 70 percent alcohol, which are available at drug stores.
The article states people can use soft cloths to clean the phone, like a microfiber cleaning cloth or the cloths used to clean your glasses.
Google says you can dip the cloth in soap and water, as long as you’re careful not to get moisture in the phone. AT&T says paper towels work, too.
The article states people can spray the cloth with disinfectant warning not to spray the phone itself. It also recommends that people should not have their phones charging as they are cleaning them.