Adjwou Mesgana Waiss

Email Adjwou Mesgana Waiss

Articles

Only Heaven Knows how she does it again

Coming off an outstanding year on TikTok, Pinkpantheress returns from her debut EP 'to hell with it' with her first full album release 'Heaven Knows'. While her songwriting may have needed a bit more effort, the drum and bass beats and Y2K vibes are a quality listen through and through.

Artist of the Month: Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month, several of Byte’s feature writers have compiled a group of trailblazing Black artists who have impacted the music scene in profound and exciting ways. These artists push the envelope and dare to create within an industry that often fails to recognize their innovation and creativity. 

History Of: Taylor Russell

Attention all cinephiles and fashion enthusiasts alike, we are currently entering into the era of Taylor Russell, who has managed to keep her name buzzing in a sea of Hollywood nepo babies. The 28-year-old was recently announced global brand ambassador for Loewe and has done an exceptional job promoting the brand since the release of the cannibal romance-meets-wholesome road trip Bones and All in November.  

Artist of the Month: Imani

Calling all music lovers! If you are looking for an eccentric sound among the wave of alternative pop and R&B in the Muncie area, look no further than April’s Artist of the Month: Imani. 

Artist of the Month: Women's History Month

In honor of Women’s History Month, several of Byte’s feature writers have compiled a group of groundbreaking female artists that have impacted the music scene in profound and exciting ways. These artists push the envelope and dare to create within a traditionally male-dominated industry.  

10 Jazz songs to add to your playlist for Black History Month

Music is a universal language. Of its many genres, one sticks out among the rest: jazz. The sound is crisp, coolness personified. Jazz was created by Black Americans in New Orleans, Louisiana’s red-light district in the 1920s. It quickly became the ambient art form of its time. In honor of Black History Month, I have compiled a selection of 10 jazz songs to add to your musical palate. 

10 Underrated Christmas Songs

What is Christmastime without music? Holiday music allows families and friends a chance to relax and enjoy “the most wonderful time of the year.” Below I have compiled a list of 10 underrated Christmas songs, both original and covered, that may exceed your expectations just in time for the holidays. If you are looking for the Queen of Christmas herself, Mrs. Mariah Carey, you will not find her on this list. Instead, I have opted to share the spotlight with tunes that have missed their kiss under the mistletoe. 

Artist of the Month: Silk Sonic

The 1970s are back, decked out in large Bourbon-colored sunglasses, revere collars, Embassy cigarettes, and crushed velvet suits. I absolutely love it! In a world where rap has become the number one musical export, many are left asking where’s the “real R&B” music in 2021? Where did music with instruments, captivating vocal performances and heart-wrenching climaxes go? Contrary to popular belief it never left. The existence of Childish Gambino, The Internet, Janelle Monae, H.E.R., Kali Uchis, and Miguel are a testament to the modern R&B scene. In March 2021 there was a fortuitous attempt to make R&B mainstream again, thus giving birth to November’s Artist of the Month: Silk Sonic.  

History Of: River Phoenix

The "It boy" of the 90s was a Hollywood bombshell with an upturned button nose, long blond bowl cut, and sparkling blue eyes. His name was River Phoenix. This teen heartthrob was known for his down-to-earth personality paired with a striking appearance. The late actor achieved many accomplishments during his lifetime. He was awarded the 1992 Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead for his performance in My Own Private Idaho. Phoenix was unlike any actor Hollywood had ever seen. His scattered press interviews allow Generation Z an introduction to his precocious, often unique approach to an emotional acting style.