At a press conference Monday, Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb and the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) announced the first Indiana death from COVID-19.
“A family today is suffering the ultimate loss due to COVID-19, and this sadly underscores how severe the virus can be – especially for some high-risk Hoosiers,” Holcomb said. “The state is taking unprecedented actions to slow the spread of COVID-19, and every Hoosier should follow the precautionary measures.”
The patient, who was more than 60 years old, is from Marion County. He died at a Community Health Network hospital Monday morning, had been hospitalized as a COVID-19 patient and also suffered from underlying medical conditions.
“I cannot stress this enough – if you are ill, stay home. If you need to seek medical care, call ahead so that your healthcare provider can take steps to protect others from exposure to COVID-19,” said State Health Commissioner Kris Box. “We all have a role to play to protect Hoosiers from this illness, and the time to act is now.”
According to Indiana State Department of Health's website, there have been 24 total positive cases out of 139 tests performed in the state as of March 15.