With many students traveling home for the long weekend, the Indiana Department of Transportation reminds travelers that Labor Day weekend is typically one of the busiest times for travel on Indiana’s highways.
Those traveling should expect heavier than normal traffic beginning Friday and ending Monday evening.
INDOT announced a cease in road work for the holiday weekend beginning Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning.
Wherever possible, road restrictions will be removed to ease traffic flow. However, some larger closures and restrictions will remain.
The remaining restrictions are:
- U.S. 31 is reduced to one lane in each direction for 4 miles between State Road 10 and 13 Road in Marshall County.
- Lane shifts to the right on I-80/94 in Lake County between I-65 and Kennedy Avenue.
- Westbound I-94 in LaPorte County is reduced to two lanes with traffic shifted to the inside between the U.S. 421 interchange (Exit 34) and the U.S. 20/35 interchange (Exit 40).
- Lane shifts on southbound I-69 between mile markers 291-294 in Allen and Huntington Counties, mile markers 318-320 in Allen County, mile markers 327-329 in DeKalb County.
- I-469 is reduced to one lane in each direction in Allen County between mile markers 11-17 and mile markers 0-1. On/off ramps at Adams Center Road are closed.
- I-70 near Terre Haute is reduced to one lane in each direction for maintenance on two bridges between U.S. 41/150 (Exit 7) and U.S. 40/State Road 46 (Exit 11).
- I-65 lanes near Lafayette are shifted for widening construction between State Road 26 (Exit 172) and State Road 38 (Exit 168).
- Lane shifts on I-65 near Lebanon and Frankfort for resurfacing between State Road 32 (Exit 141) and State Road 28 (Exit 158).
- Three lanes of I-65 North are diverted across the median to share the southbound side of the interstate with two lanes of I-65 South for construction at the bridges over I-465 on the south side of Indianapolis. The I-465 East and West ramps to I-65 North are closed for the duration of construction.
- Shifted lanes on I-69 between State Road 37 Exit 205 and State Road 38 Exit 219.
- One left lane of I-69 South near State Road 332 (McGalliard Road) Exit 241 is temporarily diverted across the median to share the northbound side of the interstate.
- Multiple bridge construction projects on I-70 between Indianapolis and Ohio have shifted traffic lanes and reduced speed limits near Post Road (Exit 91), State Road 9 (Exit 104), mile marker 112, State Road 109 (Exit 115), State Road 1 (Exit 137) and mile marker 155 between State Road 227 (Exit 153) and U.S. 40 (Exit 156).
- The State Road 9 entrance ramp to I-70 East is closed through October for the remainder of bridge construction immediately east of the State Road 9 Exit 104 (Greenfield) interchange.
- The left lane of I-70 West is diverted across the median between State Road 109 Exit 115 (Knightstown) and State Road 9 Exit 104 (Greenfield).
- Lane shifts in both directions on I-65 in Clark County between mile marker 16 and mile marker 8.
- I-74 is restricted to one lane in each direction in Decatur County near the New Point interchange (Exit 143), in Ripley County near the S.R. 229 interchange (Exit 149) and the S.R. 101 interchange (Exit 156).
- Lane closures on I-69 in both directions in Vanderburgh County Between I-64 and S.R. 66 (Lloyd Expressway).
- Lane closures will remain in place on U.S. 41 in Evansville between Boonville New Harmony Road and I-69.
- Lane shifts continue on U.S. 41 at the Twin Bridges over the Ohio River. Two lanes will be open in each direction.